Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Creating a Site Name EMD or Not?
JosephSchm-
ieder
Post Creating a Site Name EMD or Not?
on: February 16, 2015, 16:09

Hi Moe

Joe here. I have a question about naming a new site. In the past before the Googles Algo. I always went for EMD (Exact Match Domain) names. But once my game room site got hit I figured that EMD was part of my problem – going with game-room-decorating-ideas.com wasn’t the best thing – of course that was done back in 2005.

Now to the present – If I decided on a niche for example: cure back pain. I find that the numbers are decent and want to name my site. Now days would it be better to go with an EMD name like: curebackpain.com or cure-back-pain.com.

OR would it be better to be a little more unique like Joe’scureforbackpain or backpainfixer or takeyourbackback.com

So do you think it’s better to be unique and catchy or better to have the exact match domain name?

My thoughts were that if you’re using PPC that it may not matter what you call your site. BUT if I wanted organic search traffic in the future wouldn’t it be better if I came up with a unique name?

Also I’ve read that domain name length is very important, the shorter around 8 characters give or take a few is better than longer and also that adding dashes is a no-no too.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on the subject because even while I’m researching niches, in the back of my mind I have domain names swirling around and it drives me crazy. I’ll hit Godaddy and just start checking them out, again wasting more time.

I haven’t gone through all the NicheSherpa pages in detail yet, but if there isn’t a section on this type of problem maybe it could be one to add. Just a suggestion. In any case it’s something that weighs on my mind.

Thanks Moe

Joe

mmuise
Administrator
Post Re: Creating a Site Name EMD or Not?
on: February 17, 2015, 02:04

Hi Joe,

Couple of points:

1) Definitely stay away from domain names with hyphens in them (e.g. cure-back-pain.com). While there are some hyphenated domains that still rank well in Google, I’ve heard from multiple reliable sources that Google is taking a dim view of hyphenated domains these days.

2) As you suggest, domain name length is also increasingly important. Google seems to be favouring shorter domain names.

3) In my experience, EMDs can give a new site a little boost in terms of ranking a little faster, but I think EMDs are losing their SEO value. So over the long term, there’s not much of a difference between using an EMD for a domain name vs more of a “brandable” domain name.

Bottom line: these days, Google pays much more attention to (1) the amount of competition for a keyword, (2) the quality of a site’s competition, and of course (3) the quality of backlinks coming into a site.

So in planning your new site you want to pay more attention to choosing low-competition keywords, then creating outstanding content for your site.

I don’t have a module on choosing a domain name in this course (largely because I don’t consider it nearly as important today as it was a couple of years ago), but I can add one if you think it would be helpful.

JosephSchm-
ieder
on: February 17, 2015, 03:34

Hi Moe

Thanks for the advice on the domain name. I’m not trying to give you more work! Though I would think a module on picking a correct domain name the first time around may be helpful to others also. It wouldn’t have to be in depth I guess? You know a lot more than I do on the subject. But just mentioning the basics of choosing a good domain name would be helpful I believe.

The thought I have is that, the Domain Name each one of us chooses is a name that we may have for a very long time, so in thinking long term I believe it’s important especially if someone is going to build a whole website around a topic or Branding their site and site name. Of course that’s why my game room site did so good in the beginning was because of EMD but in the end it was part of the reason it went down along with many other variables including the hyphens.

From your answer above, I’ve decided that with my next site I’ll create a name that includes both a key word and a branding term if possible – depending on the length of course. BackPainbyJoe(too long) /BackPainJoe / BackPainPro (getting better) of course those are just examples, not that I’d name a site JoeHemorrhoids.

I tell ya, I’m biting at the chomp to start working on a new site and go after those Low-Competition Key Words/ Low Hanging Fruit but I want to make sure it’s going to be successful or at least have the best chance at it. So far I have two niches I’m interested in, I’m doing the research you taught in the Sherpa Course. Honestly it’s tough taking it a day at at time, that’s the hardest part.

Thanks again Moe, you’ve pointed me in the right direction. Appreciate the help as always.

Joe

mmuise
Administrator
on: February 18, 2015, 02:03

My pleasure, Joe – always glad to help!

You hit it on the head: “I’ve decided that with my next site I’ll create a name that includes both a key word and a branding term if possible”.

That’s exactly the approach you should take. In thinking about it some more, EMDs really aren’t a smart strategy for a long-term site any more – they just might give the site a slight boost in getting ranked a little quicker. Long-term, that’s not worth very much. So better to go with a brandable name that captures the essence of the keyword category you’re targeting.

And I’ll take it a step further: there are some sites whose domain name has nothing to do with the keywords it’s ranking for. Here’s a real-life example: http://www.ShowMeTheGreen.ca . That’s one of my sites, and it’s the second site I ever created (around 2008, I recall). The site ranks #1 or #2 for a bunch of keywords related to Canadian government grants. And not only are the keywords not related to the domain name, but in some cases my site out-ranks the government site that’s giving out the grant!

Lesson learned from that one: find low-competition keywords!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.28 ; Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.