Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hi Moe - Heres how I got here.
JosephSchm-
ieder
Post Hi Moe - Heres how I got here.
on: February 13, 2015, 16:09

Hi Moe

First of all, thanks for all the great information in the NicheSherpa course. I started a website for a hobby back in 2005 http://www.game-room-decorating-ideas.com. This site was put up for fun but it started gaining momentum and I kept adding pages. Sure enough it started making nice extra revenue, passive income. Not enough to quit a job but it paid the bills plus a little extra. Things were going great but I must admit that it was mostly by luck. I THINK I figured out the whole SEO for the pages and that helped me rank number one for years on a number of my pages. As soon as I thought I had the whole thing figured out I was crushed by Google Panda and Penguin. It was definitely a rude awakening. Unfortunately I NEVER added an opt in page to capture emails, I just sailed along blindly. It was fun to say, “Yeah I have my own business now.” But in the back of my mind I had a feeling it wouldn’t survive.

Along the way I used numerous affiliates from Adsense, still on there, to Amazon, Ebay, Shopster, Shopzilla, Infolinks and many more. Adsense by far was my number one income generator. I tried to recover from the Google Algorithms but it was in vain. I started to redo my whole website and wasted what seems like years doing a couple different design changes. Currently it’s still in flux, half changed. Thing is, after being crushed I have no passion for this site. It’s my baby though so for now I’ll keep it going but don’t work on it.
Also over the years I’ve had my eye on internet marketing but could never really get my head wrapped around it until I saw your videos. To me you’ve laid it out really well, and my head is getting wrapped around finding a good IM Niche to get into, I have a couple ideas already but need to check out their profitability. I must say, that it IS hard choosing a niche. I know it’s going to be even harder to pull the trigger when I finally settle on one, there’s always doubt in the back of my mind.

To back things up a moment, after my Game Room Decorating Site started making a little income I decided to make similar sites. Baby Room, Kids Room, Outdoor Lighting etc. I spent so much time working those sites up, none ever did make me any money, they just took up all my time that I should have been spending on my original Game Room Site. But I tell you, back in 2005 – about 2011 it was pretty easy to rank in Google if you could do a little SEO. On a few rare occasions I did use Google Adwords to various success but then THEY banned my account saying I was just getting visitors to my site in order for them to go onto EBAY or other sites that would gain me more money? I never did Black Hat stuff but they wanted me to change my whole site. Crazy! In any case the past is the past. I learned a lot but NEVER did I capture the emails of my visitors, dumb on my part.

I’m sure you get the jest of it but NOW I’m ready to start over, it’s like a punch to the gut starting from scratch but I want to use what I learned from my mistakes and USE everything you’re teaching in your Niche Sherpa site. I do find it really informative and thank you again for setting it up. The info in the videos and PDFs alone are worth way more than the fee to sign up and having an expert in the forums answering questions personally is invaluable. Thanks.

I’m sure I’ll have many more questions for you as time goes on, but to be honest I’m still stuck on Getting my Head Straight. I want to get it right from the get go with no turning back so I’m going to spend time on this one. I just hope I don’t get bogged down with Paralysis by Analysis! It’s a catchy disease.

Thanks Again Moe – Good Luck in Your Ventures!
Joe

mmuise
Administrator
Post Re: Hi Moe - Heres how I got here.
on: February 14, 2015, 11:57

Hi Joe – thanks a lot for letting us know your situation, and for your compliments on my course. Any suggestions for improvement, please let me know!

A few comments on your post:

1) Thanks for sharing your site’s URL. I think you could still make a good income with this site, if you wanted to. A few quick things that come to mind:

a) Make the calls-to-action for the Amazon products much more prominent. I didn’t even know that I could click to Amazon for more info on each product until I decided the click the image.

b) Include a prominent “About” page in the menu. I don’t see a link to an About page at all. This type of site is ideal to build a “personal brand” around.

c) As you say, you should be collecting visitors’ email addresses

d) Test out different placement of Adsense ads

There’s a LOT more you could do with this site.

2) You might be able to get back on Adwords. My Adwords account was also suspended, but I managed to get another account approved a year or so ago. Google is MUCH more flexible and willing to listen to reason today than a couple of years ago (when they just turfed out thousands of small businesses at once, and didn’t give them any recourse).

3) I know you might think it’s starting over, but you’re really not – not at all. The knowledge you’ve gained in the past 9 years will allow you to get going that much faster with your new niche, and will also help you avoid mistakes that true newbies are bound to make.

As I say, if you have any questions as you go through the modules, post them here!

Moe

JosephSchm-
ieder
on: February 16, 2015, 15:52

Hi Moe

Thanks for responding.

a. The calls to action – Yes this was a big problem for me. At first and for many years I didn’t want to make my site sound overly pushy. I see that I should have been pushing the sell a lot more. Looking at my site again, which I haven’t done in a while, I can see what you’re saying. The pictures I used from Amazon were nice but IF I didn’t have a buy button how would people even know. Funny how something as simple as that was overlooked. And most of my pages for that matter over the years weren’t very good with the Most Wanted Response which was to make sales. I kept them more informational which I regret now, probably left a lot of money on the table.

b. The About Me Page – was up there since I started my site. It appears when I started redesigning it that I left it out. I’ll have to get back on that and put it back up. Thanks for mentioning it, it’s appreciated.

d. I’ve changed the look, feel, color and locations of Adsense Ads so many times, tracking and checking that I just got fed up. I started to do it daily when I had enough visitors to check. I got caught up with the little things instead of Marking and creating more pages, THAT was a major problem. My focus was out of whack. Another lesson learned! I do have a question about domain names – I’ll post that in the proper forum.

Thanks Moe

Joe

mmuise
Administrator
on: February 17, 2015, 02:14

I think it’s important to take this attitude with a site like yours: you have a lot of great, informative content on your site, and you’re the expert on the topic. The advice you could provide people would be very helpful in steering them in making the right purchase. So it’s your obligation to make strong recommendations!

I’m a lot like you – don’t want to sound pushy. But at the end of the day, people are looking for guidance. If you have more knowledge than your site’s visitors (which is highly likely), you should be telling them which product to buy – because it’s to their benefit.

Took me a long time to become comfortable with that idea, but I think it makes sense – especially with people’s heads swimming with all the info out there, and them not knowing which way to turn.

Regarding Adsense: changing the look, feel, color, and locations of ads daily will drive you nuts. Take an 80/20 approach: set aside one time a month when you look at stats and make changes. Then forget about it for a month. Reliably making changes once a month (or once a week) is better than knocking yourself out making changes every day – and then quitting and not making any changes at all!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.28 ; Page loaded in: 0.014 seconds.